Wednesday, January 25, 2012

5 Years of Running - All About the "Bling"

As much as I would LOVE to be a daily blogger my life is so hectic that by the time I actually sit down. Im too tired to write.  Its Jan 2012 and Im all fired up about running again. Im so excited and can't believe I ever stopped. I've missed my running friends , the runs & all the hoopla that goes along with them, the training run/walks with my friends and of course the real reason I would EVER go 13.1 or 26.2 miles is "The Bling"
The first time I went to watch a Marathon/Half Marathon I watched those people cross that finish line and receive their medal. Some of them were older, weighed more, probably in worse shape than I was but guess what?? They were getting a medal and I was not. ( THis was my first case of "bling envy" which I have not changed the name to "Bling Envyitus" )
I did my first 5K. The Red Nose Run for Ronald McDonald House. January of 2007. My friend B, Mary Ann, Vickie, and Aunt Teri were all their for that very fist Run.

First 5K
Red Nose Run
 Feb. 2008 was My very Fist Half Marathon. The Mercedes Marathon (the old course)  I was sooooo excited when I finished. I carried that medal around in my purse for at least a week maybe longer. My boyfriend at the time ran with me. He had never ran a road race in his life! But he did own two Mercedes and he liked the medal and loved me enough to not let me go this journey alone. I had never ran/walked more than 6 miles ever prior to this. He set his watch for the run and I set my watch for the walk. I have since run that race every year. It was my first so of course it will always be dear to my heart.
My Mercedes Half Marathon Bling
My son ran it too. It was his second half. 

I admit I could hardly walk for 3 months afterwards b/c it was hilly and I wasn't as trained as I should have been but hey....I was a half marathoner!!! Whoo Hoo!!

I healed and trained and 2009 went out and got me some more "Half Marathon Bling" It was the year of the Rock N Roll Series because for every one you run after the first one you get an extra medal. Well Thats all I needed to hear. I went places I had never been. Traveled places I had always wanted to go but was waiting for someone to take me. One day I just decided I didn't need anyone to take me that if I wanted to go and tour and live my life I should just go ahead and do it and not wait on my Prince Charming to come and take me to all the places I had wanted to go but had never been. 

2009 Half Marathons!!!








2010 The Year of the MARATHON!!! Needless to say as you can see below that after the marathon there were no other bling.....I was burnt out. Feb, March, April and May . Four Halfs and A Full in 77 days. I chose the Flying Pig Marathon b/c it was right before my 40th Birthday and the Shirt for the Race said " I 'll Run A Marathon When Pigs Fly" well that about says it all b/c I was the most least likely person to run anywhere. What motivated me the most was the 26.2 sticker I bought at the expo. I knew I was going to finish b/c I had to put that sticker on my car. Ha Ha It was a very proud moment.
2010 Four Halfs and One Full
I have never actually ran the entire 13.1 but oh how I wish I could. I run a little. walk a little, take photos a little, make new friends, enjoy the scenery. Its not about the finish time but the Finish Line. A mile is a mile if its a 5 min mile or a 16 min mile. Its still a mile and Im doing the same 13.1 miles the fast people do and Im getting the same finisher medal that they get. 
2011 Bling

2012 has started off great Im going to leave first thing in the morning to DisneyLand for my first visit. Im so excited. Tinkerbell Half Marathon!!! My Third Half this Month!! Whoop Whoop!!!
Praying my injury doesn't keep me from the medal!!
Faith Trust and Pixie Dust and most of all Prayer!!

Well my hand is hurting from typing and I must get up in a few short hours so off to bed for me.
I will finish the "bling stories" later. Good Night!!




No comments:

Post a Comment