Sunday, February 19, 2012

Marathon Maniacs! 26.2



If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon." - Emil Zatopek
October this past year my friend Kim told me about the Marathon Maniacs and Half Fanatics. Don't know how I had never heard of them. She had a friend trying to qualify. I asked "what do you need to do to qualify?" well come to find out. I actually qualified for a Half Fanatic in 2009. So I sent in my information and became a Half Fanatic. Im number #1445


Since becoming a Half Fanatic I have met so many new friends who are runners and fellow Half Fanatics and Marathon Maniacs. Some of which belong to both clubs. So now..........I WANT TO BE A MARATHON MANIAC!!!
Did I just say that? Did I just put that in writing for all the world to see?? OMG!! Yes I did!!
Step One: I researched the criteria for the Marathon Maniacs and found that all I need to do is finish 3 Marathons in 90 days.

Step Two: find the races. Since I had planed on running the Disney World Full for 2013 because it will be the 20th Anniversary for the race. Already committed to the Goofy Challenge. (step one to all my friends thinking I am crazy)  

2013 Goofy Challenge
2013 Marathon Weekend - January 10-13, 2013

So ...December is the St Jude Marathon in Memphis TN. I have always wanted to run that race. I would love to support St Jude and Memphis is my hometown so I would have the family support. 



Then February "26.2 with Donna" this is a Marathon to raise money for to fight Breast Cancer. It is also has Jeff Galloway run/walk pace groups which I think is awesome.

February 17, 2013



So... I know what I need to do and now have my three races to get it done. 
Next step is to train train train train train. 

I told my son what I wanted to do but told him I was afraid. His response to me was.."I don't know what kind of God you serve but with the God I serve I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." And he is so correct!!

I have only completed one Full 26.2 Marathon in my lifetime and it took me 7 hours and 16 min. A whole entire workday. Which is something the fast runners can't even comprehend running for that long.  Funny I get tired driving 26.2 miles and don't know how in the world I continued run/walking for 7 hours and 16 min b/c I can hardly believe it myself. It was alot of prayer that got me to that finish line. And the thought in my head that I had bought that 26.2 sticker and I was going to finish no matter what. (pure stubbornness)

 Im pretty sure I could have trained more. Not to mention it was pouring down rain the entire race so I was soaking wet with no ipod or anyone to talk to and I was bored and ready for the race to be over. Got to work on the mental part. I did a lot of praying that day. Hopefully the next one I will have music, podcast , people to talk to and no soaking wet feet. I plan to train better and be ready. I just worry about being slow. I have arthritis in my hip, I have scoliosis which is a crooked spine so with my back not straight it throws everything else off being misaligned .  I may be slow but Im a finisher. I hope that by losing weight and training more I will do much better the next time around. :-)

My feet shriveled up and full of blisters for being wet for 7 hours!
3 of my toenails turned black.


No comments:

Post a Comment